Friday, December 16, 2022

Technology


 

Last week, I had to go to the dentist to get a crown replaced.  I have had the crown on tooth #15 for 23 years.  Quite a long run, but it chipped off two weeks ago, and needed to be replaced.  I am like a terrier puppy; I like to gnaw on things, and I am surprised that the crown lasted this long.  So, after Dr. R. got the old crown off, he used resin to build up the base.  Then he used some sort of an electronic wand, moving it all around the right side of my mouth.  I asked him what he was doing (enquiring minds want to know), and he replied, “This is a 3D scanner.  I scan your “bite” and email the file to the vendor.  He uses a 3Dprinter, and immediately has the form of your bite to make the new crown a perfect fit.”  Amazing!  No mixing of goopy material to hold in my mouth for five minutes until it sets, then physically sending it to the lab.  What will they think of next?!  It reminds me of the advances in the Bible printing.  During the life of Christ, scribes had to painstakingly hand copy Scriptures.  Then Guttenberg invented moveable lead type to mass produce printed Bibles.  Paper improved, ink improved, binding improved, and now I can buy a quality Bible for twenty dollars.  And … last night at church, I looked up a Greek word in my electronic Bible on my cell phone!  But like any technological improvement, I still need to read the Bible, either in print or electronically.  David said in Psalm 119:89, “For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.”  Although the process may change, how comforting to know that the content of the Bible never changes.  God’s Word is always the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment