Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Lost Keys


 

Well, this morning, I was embarrassed.  My wife will misplace something, and I will say, “If you put it where it belongs, you will never lose it.  My wallet, keys, and cell phone always go on my dresser where I always know where they are.”  Well, this morning at 4:30am, I couldn’t find my car keys.  But my wife was sweet and helped me look for them.  “Did you leave them in your pants pocket yesterday?” she said.  “No, I already checked there,” I replied.  I got a flashlight and looked outside in the leaves beside the car door.  No keys.  I looked in the kitchen, in the dining room, downstairs, but no keys.  I finally used her keys to take her to dialysis, but then continued my search back at home.  I pulled out the kitchen garbage and transferred the nasty stuff to another bag, piece by piece, but still no keys.  I looked on my dresser for a fourth time, moved my handkerchief, and found the keys under the handkerchief, just where I had left them.  The keys were on my dresser all the time, right where they should have been.  Jesus told the parable of the lost coin in Luke 15:8-10, “… what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it? And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost. Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.”  I picked up my wife from dialysis, told her where my keys had been, and bought her breakfast to celebrate.  I am a little humbler now.  Maybe I’ll be a little more forgiving in the future when my dear wife loses something.  Maybe …

No comments:

Post a Comment