Thursday, June 15, 2023

Big Ed


 

An evangelist came to town with his tent revival.  Big Ed came to the meeting one night.  After the preaching, the evangelist invited folk up for special prayer, so Big Ed got in line.  When it was Big Ed’s turn the evangelist asked, “How can I pray for you, my brother?”  Big Ed said, “I need you to pray for my hearing.”  The evangelist put his hands on Big Ed’s ears and prayed fervently for Big Ed’s hearing.  After the evangelist said Amen, he asked Big Ed, “How is your hearing now?”  Big Ed answered, “I don’t know just yet.  But I’ll let you know next week when my hearing comes up at the county courthouse.”  Sometimes we think that we understand what someone is saying, only to find that we only thought that we understood.  Often folk come to church and hear the pastor preaching from the Bible.  But what they hear is filtered by years of teaching that may or may not be based on the Bible.  What the preacher says and what they hear the preacher say may not be the same thing.  David said in Psalm 119:130, “The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.”  Preachers need understanding and people like Big Ed need understanding.  Hey, you and I need understanding too … at least I do.  ;<)

No comments:

Post a Comment