Friday, June 23, 2023

Bolens Riding Mower


When I was in middle school, I was the gardener for Miss Vogel in Churchville, Maryland.  She had hundreds of irises and had the garden club over each spring when they bloomed.  She had boxwoods in her formal garden surrounding a goldfish pond.  Huge trees were interspersed over her seven acres of mowed grass.  I worked on Saturdays during the school year and forty hours a week in the summer.  And it took all forty hours to manage her property.  I could almost hear the honeysuckle creeping into her gardens.  Miss Vogel had a Bolens 32” riding mower that took care of the grass in one day.  But when it was down (which was too often), I had to push mow the seven acres of grass, which took four days!.  I was either diligent in taking care of the riding mower or diligent in pushing seven acres of grass.  Solomon said in Proverbs 10:4, “He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich.”  I never became rich working for Miss Vogel. but I did learn many life principles.  I learned to work hard, and I learned to be diligent.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment