Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Wisdom Vs. Age


 

I am 73 years old, and I am struggling with aches and pains just like everyone else … everyone else my age, that is.  My thirteen-year-old grandson wanted to throw the baseball back and forth Saturday.  But granddaddy has rotator cuff shoulder issues, a Meniscus tear in the knee, and back strains too numerous to count.  But granddaddy is a sly old fox: in our steep front yard, I moved uphill one step at a time while tossing the baseball to Bennett’s left working him downhill.  After eight or ten tosses, I had a twenty-foot uphill advantage over Bennett.  He threw hard to get the ball up to me while I easily tossed it downhill to him.  And, no, I did not feel the least bit guilty.  After all, I had sixty years of wear-and-tear on him.  But the most important advantage that I have over my grandson isn’t a baseball advantage; it is the advantage of sixty years of the dear Lord’s wisdom.  Solomon said in Proverbs 19:20, “Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.”  I am fortunate to have had a Christian father to instruct me when I was young.  And I am asking the dear Lord to give me a few more days to be able to instruct Bennett in the ways of the Lord.  After all, the Lord’s wisdom is much better than man’s wisdom.  Even in baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment