Sunday, December 10, 2023

Mistletoe Business

 



My two grandsons (ages 14 and 11) came over Friday after school to open our Christmas mistletoe business.  We loaded up my pole saw into the car (no easy task) and drove around looking for low-hanging mistletoe.  The boys kept finding mistletoe up in the tops of trees.  Bennett assured me that he could climb up and get it, but I held out for the easy pickin’s.  We finally found some on ___ road (I don’t want to divulge our secret spot), knocked on the homeowner’s door, and asked if we could have some mistletoe.  We cut the mistletoe out of the tree, loaded it up, and came home just before dark.  Then our sweatshop operations began.  One worker snapped off small sprigs of mistletoe from stiffer stalks, another bagged it, a third worker cut and folded the label and the fourth stapled the label to the top of the sandwich bag.  We’ll sell the mistletoe for $1 in the Walmart parking lot next week, and the boys will have Christmas money for gifts.  They learn free-enterprise, unselfish gift-giving, and cooperation … all good traits.  And what does my wife and I get out of the operation? you might ask.  We get to spend time with our grandchildren.  A precious commodity.  David got it right when he said in Psalm 127:3, “Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD …”  And grandchildren are a double blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment