Saturday, December 2, 2023

Onion Breath

 


Thursday evening, I made three mistakes.  My wife wanted a coney hotdog at Sonic because they were on sale for $1.  I don’t like coney hotdogs, so I got a hamburger (without fries because I’m trying to be a good boy).  The hamburger was delicious!  It had ketchup, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions.  But it was late in the evening … too late for me to be eating a hamburger.  Mistake one.  I really like onions, but they don’t agree with my stomach.  Mistake two.  And I had to get up at 4:15 am (so I needed to go to bed early), and I shouldn’t have eaten onions so late in the evening.  Mistake three.  So, I tossed and turned for an hour before I was able to drift off to sleep.  And when I woke up in the morning, I still had dragon breath from the onions.  I brushed my teeth immediately, but my teeth weren’t the source of the foulness; it was my stomach.  When I got to cardiac rehab, I got a cup of coffee and drank it.  The other people thought that I had nasty coffee breath, but what they didn’t know was that the coffee breath masked my greater problem: my onion breath.  They should have been grateful for coffee breath … the lesser of the two evils.  How often do we try to cover up a spiritual problem in our lives with another problem?  We put on nice Sunday clothes and try to look the part of a good Christian, but we are being a hypocrite about it.  Our hypocrisy is one problem, but our spiritual indifference is the greater problem.  Wouldn’t it be much better to confess and forsake both sins?  I John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  Hey, come clean before God.  You’ll be glad that you did.  And … no more onions late at night for me.  Hopefully …

No comments:

Post a Comment