Monday, January 1, 2024

Cough Drops

 

What a night!  Last night, I just couldn’t seem to stop coughing long enough to go to sleep.  It was a dry cough that doesn’t remove any phlegm, it just has a tickle in my throat that keeps me from sleeping.  So I used an old trick: I put a Luden’s wild cherry lozenge in my mouth and used my tongue to push it up between my first and second molars and my cheek.  The cough drop melted ever-so slowly soothing my dry cough letting me drift off to sleep.  Each time that I turned over in bed, I shifted the cough drop to the upper side of my mouth.  It lasted about 3 ½ hours!  But this morning, I realized that between my cheek and teeth is exactly where most people put snuff (I plead the fifth amendment on how that I know this)!  While one helps me sleep, the other is a nasty habit.  One has a soothing flavor while the other causes you to spit.  One helps your breath while the other causes your breath to stink.  What a contrast!  I am so glad that I never picked up the tobacco habit (thanks to a “mean” mother and a “mean” father).  The worst that I do is Luden’s wild cherry.  Solomon warned in Proverbs 25:28, “He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.”  Hey, ask the dear Lord for self-control today.  You’ll be glad that you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment