Saturday, March 21, 2020

Planner Knives


I had a pleasant surprise this afternoon.  It’s complex, but let me explain.  My wife has wanted me to make her an end table for our bedroom.  I began a week ago making the 3 drawers for said end table.  Well, actually, I began three months ago when I pulled apart a weathered pallet.  With the pallet slats, I am going to make this beautiful, rustic-looking end table.  So begins the saga.  But to get nice pallet boards, I must first plane the backs in order to get them to lay flat.  I want the end table rustic, but not too rustic.  So, I got out my Delta planer.  But the last time that I had used it, I had planned through a nail … three times.  Oops.  So, I had bought a new set of cutting knives, but had never installed them.  I got out the Allen wrenches and removed one of the old knives only to find my pleasant surprise: the knife had two sides!  So, I turned the two knives around, tightened the bolts and was back into business with my new knives still in the package!  Hey, I was reminded that there are two sides to everything in life.  One side may be obvious to me - my side - but the other side may be just as valid, but not obvious to me.  My wife reminded me years ago, “You can’t be right all of the time.”  Solomon said in Proverbs 21:2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes …”  I think that I am right, but the other person is thinking that they are right too!  Hey, let’s give each other the chance to be right some of the time.  There are always two sides to everything, even with planning knives.

No comments:

Post a Comment