Monday, March 16, 2020

Verily, Verily


When I was a youngster, I used to get into trouble on a regular basis.  Who am I kidding?  I STILL get into trouble on a regular basis!  I remember my dear mother calling my name.  Often, she would call, “Billy Gerald Whitely!”  It was serious when she used my full name.  In third grade, Mrs. Merryman taught me to listen the first time.  She started by saying, “Gerald, Gerald” and then gave the class directions.  Since she spoke my name twice, she got my attention.  Then I listened to the directions that came next.  25 times in the New Testament, Jesus said, “verily, verily”.  He meant, truly, truly”, but since Jesus said it twice, I think He was trying to get the attention of Nicodemus, the man to whom He was speaking.  And in John 3:3, “Jesus answered and said unto him (Nicodemus), Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”  The “verily, verily” got Nicodemus’ attention, and I hope this verse gets your attention too!  Jesus said you MUST me born again in order to make it to heaven.  No matter how good you are; no matter how hard you are trying, there is only one way to make it to heaven.  You must be born into God’s forever family through Jesus Christ.  It is simple yet profound.  Jesus is THE only way.  Have you trusted Him?  Message me right now if you haven’t.  It’s really, really important (Notice that I said “really” twice.  :<)

No comments:

Post a Comment