Thursday, March 26, 2020

Smoke Detector


I hate the springtime change.  You know - that spring forward thing.  But I love love love the fall time change.  You know - that extra hour of sleep.  But with both time changes, I am also reminded to change the batteries in our smoke detectors.  I have two smoke detectors: one upstairs in the hallway and one downstairs near the clothes dryer.  Last year I went to change the batteries, but I had only one nine volt battery.  So I changed the battery upstairs and planned to get a battery for the one downstairs.  Well, about a month later, about midnight, I was awakened by this strange chirping noise.  The downstairs smoke alarm was programmed to chirp just before it totally died.  So, I got out of bed, dragged over a chair, and removed the battery from the downstairs smoke detector to stop the chirping.  Again, I planned to get to get a battery the next day.  Well, last week at the springtime change, I had NO batteries, so I bought a four pack.  I replaced the battery upstairs and put a battery in the one downstairs, which had gone four months without a battery.  So, what good is a smoke detector without a battery?  Absolutely no good.  Hey, God has given each of us a conscience.  But our conscience fades unless the Holy Spirit empowers it.  Jesus said in John 16:7&8, “Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment.”  We need the convicting power of the Holy Spirit, just like my smoke detector needs the power of that nine volt battery.  We are useless without the Holy Spirit, and my smoke detector is useless without its power.  Hey, listen to that still, small voice of the blessed Holy Spirit guiding you each day.  Don’t ignore Him.  He will direct you … if you let Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment