Thursday, July 16, 2020

Box Kite


My dad worked at General Grid, which was bought out by American Cyanamid, which was bought out by Alcore, which was bought out by M. C. Gill Company.  When you have a good product, everyone wants in on a piece of the action.  Their product was super-thin, super tough aluminum foil glued into a honeycomb pattern.  The foil is only about 3 thousandths of an inch thick, but when properly fabricated, it can support a man standing on it.  The aluminum honeycomb was used in aircraft wings, ship bulkheads, and roll-up truck doors.  In 1960, I was on a kite making binge.  My brothers and the neighbor boys made and flew kites up on Mr. Cochran’s hill.  I bought several rolls of string and would get my kite out so far that it was almost out of sight.  I would leave it tied to a fence post overnight, but the dew overnight would loosen the tissue paper and down it would come.  Which gets me back to my dad’s job.  I convinced him to bring me home some durable foil to make the ultimate box kite.  My aluminum foil kite stayed up for almost four days.  A record for any middle-school boy living on Clayton Road.  Ha, ha!  Hey, but nothing lasts forever.  That is nothing on this old earth.  But when we factor in God and our eternal life, well that’s a different story.  The apostle Peter said in I Peter 1:23, “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.  Hey, God’s Word is forever, and God’s promises are forever.  A metal-skinned kite may stay up for a long time, but eternal life is for … well … eternity.  And that’s a REALLY long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment