Monday, July 13, 2020

Gas Gauge


For years I drove a 1969 Rambler American.  It was silver and black, and back in the day, it was a sharp little car.  But, just like me, it began to show its age.  Among other things, the gas gauge quit working.  I kept a little notebook in the glove box listing mileage and fuel economy, so I usually knew about when I would run out of gas.  I usually got gas before I ran out.  Usually.  But I kept a gallon jug of gasoline in the trunk just in case.  If I were going up a hill when the car sputtered, I would pull over as the engine died, wait for traffic to clear, roll back downhill and make a backwards coasting U-turn to the other side of the road so that my one gallon of gas would go directly into the fuel line.  My plan worked, but it wasn’t very safe.  Somehow it seemed like a good plan … at the time.  Hey, sometimes in our life, we seem to run out of gas.  We may get discouraged, we may have marriage problems, we may be in financial hardships, we may have problems with the kids - we just don’t seem to have the answers that we need.  We are on empty.  But the real problem is that we have forgotten about God and left Him out of our lives.  But God doesn’t beat us up; He stands ready to meet our needs.  That is if we call upon Him.  God said in Jeremiah 33:3, “Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.”  Hey, if we call upon God, He will refill our spiritual tank.  He will set us on the road to our eternal home.  And that’s a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment