Saturday, July 18, 2020

Going Home


I enjoy traveling.  I especially enjoy traveling to foreign countries.  It’s interesting to see how people live and what they eat.  I have sampled snails in France, cow tongue in Austria, grasshoppers in Cameroon, and fiery peppers in Hungary.  But after a while, I am ready to get home.  Kathy and I were in Mexico for ten days, and I began to long for back-home food.  We were at a restaurant and I saw “Spaghetti Verde” on the menu.  I was excited and ordered it, but green sauce on spaghetti noodles was a let-down.  Dan Spriggs was with us in Europe and looked for sweet tea everywhere he went.  One day at a restaurant, he finally said, “Get me a cup of hot tea, a bowl of sugar, and a glass of ice.”  Within minutes Dan had showed the waiter how to make southern sweet tea!  For years I enjoyed coming back from overseas to Atlanta’s Hartsfield Airport.  After we cleared customs at the international terminal, the old customs agent on duty would stamp our passport with a wink and a smile and say, “Welcome home, y’all!”  Hey, we as Christians are here on earth as foreigners.  This world is not our home, but someday, our heavenly Father will welcome us home to heaven.  The writer of Hebrews said of us in Hebrews 11:13,16 “These … confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.”  We’re not home now, but someday, we will be home.  At home with our heavenly Father forever and forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment