Sunday, July 19, 2020

Cord Watch


One of the dangers of schooling is that you run the risk of becoming too smart for your own britches.  That happened to me in 9th grade after my first year of algebra.  Let me explain.  I had a watch that my father gave me for Christmas that gained time.  To be more specific, it gained exactly 3 hours and 18 minutes a day.  I would set the watch first thing in the morning, but it gained so much time that by mid-morning it was useless.  So, I quit wearing it.  But in algebra, I learned proportions and developed a plan.  So, I set my watch at 7 am each morning.  When someone asked me what time it was, I looked at my watch, and for example, it would say 10 am.  I used my algebra formula to calculate the deviation, minus the perceived time, added to 7 am, and I arrived at the real time of 9:42 am.  The problem was that only a couple of geeks in algebra class were impressed.  No one else was impressed because it took a notebook, complicated math, and several minutes to tell them the time of day.  Solomon said in Proverbs 29:23, “A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.”  It would have been much better for me to have put the watch in a drawer, or to have gotten it fixed than to have used my math skills to show off.  But then again, that was when I was fifteen and knew everything.  Now that I am seventy, I know less and less about more and more.  Hey, refer to the verse above.  Anyone want to join me in the humility part?

No comments:

Post a Comment