Saturday, July 11, 2020

Swimming


I met Larry Smith in 1968 and we lived in the same dorm in college.  Larry worked at American National Bank on the night shift proofing checks.  As an employee, he was allowed to use the bank property on Chickamauga Lake.  Swimming at the lake became a staple for our dorm.  I tried to be the first one into the water every time we arrived in his 1965 Chevelle.  But once, when I dove in, I didn’t realize that the Army Corps of Engineers had lowered the lake by three feet in order to kill off mosquitoes.  I went in head-first with arms outstretched and hit the rocky bottom.  I came up with lacerations on my chest and puncture wounds in my right arm.  It took three stitches to close up a gash near my elbow.  But I was fortunate.  I could have hit my head and done serious damage.  Joni Eareckson Tada became a paraplegic in just such a diving accident.  Often, I thank the dear Lord for watching over me in just such times.  Paul said in Romans 8:28, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”  God was good to me, but actually … God was good to Joni too.  God has a plan for each of us.  Let’s follow that plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment