Thursday, July 23, 2020

Comfort


In 1985 I had sinus surgery at Erlanger Hospital.  I was nervous going into surgery, as many of you might have experienced.  Have you had surgery that required general anesthetic?  Scary, isn’t it?  Anyway, I was in pre-op and this nurse said to me, “I have assisted in many of these types of surgeries and you are going to be just fine.  I will be with you when you go under, I will be with you the entire time, and I will be the first one that you will see when you wake up in recovery.  Don’t worry; I’ve got this.”  Wow! was that a relief!  After I got a relaxation pill, the anesthesiologist came in with his speech.  My nurse was right there behind him nodding and smiling.  Then the surgeon came in and gave me his pep talk.  My nurse was over against the wall nodding and smiling.  After they were gone, that nurse was still there and as I drifted off to sleep, I could see her face.  And the next thing that I remember, the surgery was over, and I began to wake up.  First, I heard noises.  Beeping of heart monitors and swishing of breathing machines.  There was clanging of metal bowls and metal instruments and talking of O.R. nurses.  As I began to try to move, I felt a hand on my shoulder.  I heard, “Mr. Whitely, are you OK?  The surgery went fine.  You are over the hard part.”  As my eyes began to focus, and I started to come around, I saw the face of that nurse.  She was smiling at me.  My eyes focused on her eyes.  How reassuring.  Hey, are you troubled at situations in your life?  Are you anxious about how you are going to make it in this new Covid world?  Are you struggling to make ends meet?  Is your spouse angry and distant?  Hey, the dear Lord is right there with you.  He is not just there to help you; He is there to take over and to give you direction and purpose in life.  When the time comes for you to cross over that chilling Jordan River in death, the Savior will be right there with you taking you over to the over side.  And when You wake up in heaven and breathe that celestial air, the sweet, reassuring eyes of Jesus will be attentively looking into your eyes welcoming you home.  His home and YOUR home!  Forever and forever!  Right now, Jesus is smiling and saying, “Relax.  I’ve got this.”  And He does!  David said in Psalm 23, “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment