Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Union Station


My younger brother and I used to spend two or three weeks in the summer in West Virginia visiting my grandparents.  One summer, my Granny Whitely brought us back with her … on the train.  We rode nineteen miles down the mountain to Hinton, West Virginia and caught the train.  We had luggage and a paper shopping bag of apples that Granny was bringing with her back to Joppa, Maryland.  It was in 1960.  I was ten and my brother, Phillip, was eight.  It was exciting for me, but nerve wracking for Granny Whitely, to be sure.  The train car was much bigger than an automobile, and there was room to stand up and walk around.  We had to change trains in Washington, D.C. to pick up the B&O train headed for Baltimore.  Union Station was huge!  I remember watching pigeons flying around INSIDE the domed station.  We had to hurry to our connecting train and Granny Whitely struggled to keep two boys, luggage, and apples all together.  But we made it.  When we got to Penn Station in Baltimore, my dad was there waiting for us.  And was his mother glad to see him?  You bet she was!  I’m glad that I had someone with me who knew the way.  I would never have made it by myself.  Hey, when we leave this life to go to the next, we have Jesus Christ to take us safely to heaven.  Paul said in II Corinthians 5:8, “We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.”  We will go to sleep in death here on earth and wake up breathing celestial air in heaven.  And the first face that we will see in heaven will be that of Jesus Christ.  How do I know?  Because He loves me so.  He really does!  I don’t have to worry about the trip.  Jesus Christ has me all the way.  Hey, have you trusted Jesus as your Lord and Savior?  If you have, Jesus is your conductor to your eternal home in heaven.  If you haven’t,  well,  just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment