Sunday, July 12, 2020

Elephant Ears


My wife was sitting outside on our back deck waiting to go to dialysis.  I gathered up her things and came outside to meet her.  As I closed the door she said, “Your elephant ears are looking good.”  For a moment, I was flabbergasted!  I couldn’t believe she would say something so rude, but then I remembered my Colocasia plant over in the corner beside the deck - an Elephant Ear plant.  So, I responded, “Thank you, I like my ears too.”  She looked up puzzled, but then caught the joke.  We both had a good laugh.  Hey, sometimes we say something the wrong way, and sometimes it’s other people who take the things that we say the wrong way.  In either case there is a breakdown in communication.  Jesus said in Matthew 18:15, “Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.”  Don’t let a misunderstanding fester.  Deal with misunderstandings face to face with a humble spirit.  Work things out.  You’ll be glad that you did.  And best of all, God will be pleased that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment