Friday, July 3, 2020

Follow ... Or Not


About eight years ago, Kathy and I took a senior class trip to Europe.  We spent time in Austria and Germany.  We had a great time with the five seniors.  We handed out tracts and shared experiences with local Christian teens.  We were in Salzburg sightseeing one evening walking, taking in the sights and sounds of a foreign city.  I kept calling to the teenagers to “wait up for the old people”.  Finally, I tugged on my wife’s sleeve and we ducked into a nearby alley.  But the kids kept walking on.  I waited for them to notice that they had lost us, but they never did!  I was the one who got nervous and caught up with them!  Let me sum it up like this: five teenagers, four thousand miles from home, in a city that they had never been to before, speaking another language, and they had lost their guide.  I had been to Salzburg several times, but they had never been there before!  Hey, isn’t that the way that we are with God?  He knows the way, but we are oblivious to Him and His leading.  God alone knows the way to heaven and how to get there safely.  David said it best in Psalm 37:23, “The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.”  We shouldn’t ask God to bless US, we should ask God for wisdom and humility to follow Him.  Let’s delight in Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment