Friday, July 24, 2020

Granny Whitely


My dad’s mom, Granny Whitely was a character.  I think I get my mischievousness from her.  She lived in a trailer next door to our house while I was growing up.  I would go over to her trailer to have some milk-coffee without my parents’ knowing about it.  If I was grounded because of poor grades (which was quite often) I could visit Granny on Saturday morning and watch “My Friend Flicka”, and no one would be the wiser.  But Granny had a curious side that some might call snooping.  Her living room couch had its back to our house, but she wanted to see what we were doing at our house.  So, she had this hand-held mirror that she used when she wanted to catch a glimpse of what was going on.  Often, I would open and shut the back door just to see her surveillance mirror pop up.  Remember I said that I was mischievous.  But I mostly remember Granny studying her Sunday School lesson.  She taught the Ladies’ Sunday school class at Faith Baptist Church in Joppa, Maryland, and studied for her presentation all week.  She wanted to be prepared when she taught the Bible, and she wanted to know the Bible.  What a legacy!  I still have her Bible verses memory packet. Paul told his young preacher-boy-protégé Timothy in II Timothy 2:15, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”  Granny Whitely was a good example for me.  May I be a good example to my grandchildren.  And may you be a good example to your family.  And if you aren’t, you can start today.

No comments:

Post a Comment