Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Children


In 1974 I began working at Berean Academy in Hixson as custodian/maintenance man/bus driver.  I had driven the Sunday school bus for two years, but I had to get a Special Chauffeur’s license to carry school children.  So, I drove the bus from Hixson to the driver’s license office in Lookout Valley, a distance of about twenty miles.  When I got there, the officer at the desk remarked, “Did you drive your bus all the way from Hixson?”  I answered. “Yes.”  She shrugged and said, “Well, you must know how to drive it then,” and stamped my permit.  In a way, she was right.  But she was cutting corners to save herself a little work.  I was glad that I didn’t have to take the road test, but how about the kids that would be riding with me?  Do you think that their parents would have approved of the officer’s careless attitude?  Carrying children is different than carrying boxes of tomatoes.  Both are valuable, but the children are priceless.  David said in Psalm 127:3, “Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD …”  Children aren’t just valuable; children aren’t just priceless; children are a heritage from the dear Lord, made in His image, and will live forever in eternity.  I can enjoy a tomato, but it will soon be gone.  But a child will live forever.  We should be careful with our children, whether at home, at church, or on the school bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment