Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Rubber Curb

 


I like to be prepared.  I guess that’s part of who I am … and part of growing older.  You know: stocking up on toilet paper and laundry soap and things like that.  So, I like to back into parking places so that when I get back into my car, I can pull right out and not have to cautiously back out, looking right and left for oncoming cars.  And I like the handicap spot at Jack’s restaurant in Ft. Oglethorpe especially well.  Jack’s has a rubber tire curb that is strategically placed to stop cars from hitting the handicap pole (which is mounted in concrete).  When I back into the space, and back up until I hit the rubber curb, my car is a mere six inches from hitting the pole.  Perfect.  Hey, the Holy Spirit is just like that rubber curb.  The Holy Spirit protects me from doing things that I shouldn’t be doing.  The Holy Spirit (God) speaks to my spirit in a still small voice saying, “No, no, you shouldn’t be doing this.”  He prevents me from making stupid mistakes (called sins).  Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit to His followers.  Jesus said in John 16:8, “And when he (the Holy Spirit) is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment.”  It is interesting that five times in John 14, 15, and 16, the Holy Spirit is called the Comforter.  What a precious name!  The Holy Spirit isn’t called the Guard Dog, or the Whistle-Blower, but He is called the Comforter.  The Holy Spirit is a dear Friend who nudges me when I am tempted to do wrong.  Hey, have you thanked the good Lord for nudging you toward the right way today?  It might be a good time for you to do it right now.  And by the way, just like that gentle bump of the rubber curb on my car tire, that gentle nudge in your heart to pray to God right now … that’s the Holy Spirit … your Comforter.

No comments:

Post a Comment