Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Fishing

 


Brother Nick preached a message this morning about Luke 5 and Jesus calling His disciples.  When Jesus preached at Capernaum, He used Peter’s fishing boat as a pulpit.  And when He finished preaching, Jesus told Peter to launch out and catch a draught of fish.  Peter protested saying that he had been out all night and had caught nothing.  Translation: “I am the fisherman, you are the carpenter, you leave the fishing to me, and I’ll leave the hammering to you.”  But Jesus was more than a carpenter.  He had created the Sea of Galilee and the fish that were in it, and Jesus could call the fish over into Peter’s net anytime that He wanted to.  And He did.  I remember dip netting on Bush River with my dad and my uncle on the brackish side of U.S.40.  We fished at night when the whiting were running (they fished; I watched).  I enjoyed the bonfire on the bank as much as the fishing.  Each time that they brought up the net, I was excited to see if we caught a fish.  Hey, every time that I hand out a Gospel tract, I am excited to see what the Lord will do with His written Words.  I may not know the results on this side of eternity, but the dear Lord is keeping the score.  Paul said in I Corinthians 3:6-8, “I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.”

No comments:

Post a Comment