Monday, September 20, 2021

Remember


I attended Old Post Road Elementary school from first grade thru sixth grade.  The school was about four miles from my house, and it was on the Old Post Road (Maryland route 7) which ran from Baltimore to Philadelphia.  An historical marker near the school reminded me that George Washington had traveled the very same Post Road on his way from Mt. Vernon to Philadelphia.  I often wondered about where Mr. Washington spent the night.  Did anyone travel with him?  Did delegates from further south meet him at his home in Virginia and then all of them travel together? On up the Post Road, about three miles northeast of my elementary school is the old Bush Tavern.  Now it is a tiny little run-down looking building, but two hundred and fifty years ago, it was an important point along the Post Road.  Important men from around Harford County met there in 1775, signing the Bush Declaration to urge the delegates on their way to Philadelphia to take action.  Those thirty-four patriots may have met with Mr. Washington as he spent the night at the old Bush Tavern.  Riding my school bus with Mrs. Rigdon driving, I could imagine seeing the President on his horse waving to me as we passed each other - him on his way to the Continental Congress and me on my way to Miss Tigner’s first grade classroom.  I know why Solomon said in Proverbs 22:28, “Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set.”  It is important to remember.  Remember where we are from, why we are here, and where we are going when we die.  Remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment