Friday, September 24, 2021

Remember


OK, you can call me a science geek.  Guilty as charged.  I did my first science fair project in the fourth grade.  It was on buoyancy.  I tested how a candle floated in various fluids and found them to have different specific gravities.  If you don’t understand this, don’t worry; you just aren’t a science geek.  In the seventh grade, in Miss Hiedecker’s science class, we had an upperclassman come into our class and use us as subjects for his science fair project (human subjects are forbidden now).  He gave us ten nonsense syllables to memorize.  Then he came back the next day and tested us on our memories.  Then we studied the ten syllables again and he came back a week later to see if our memories had improved.  That was sixty years ago!  I still remember six of those ten syllables!  They were:

Hal-Fot

Gae-Ner

Poy-Sez

Due-Tay

Chex-Mum

Car-Wey

I just wish that I could remember those other four.  Why is it that I can’t remember where my car keys are, but I can remember those nonsense syllables, that mean absolutely nothing to me?!  Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 12:1, “Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them.”  Some things aren’t worth remembering, but some things are.  Remember God; remember Him often; and you’ll never be sorry that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment