Thursday, September 23, 2021

Speaking the Truth


I remember when I was a kid how that when I intentionally wanted to lie, I would secretly cross my fingers when I said the lie, and somehow that made the lie permissible.  Crossing my fingers, in my mind, gave me permission to lie.  But is that really true?  Is it ever right to lie?  No, not really.  Sometimes, I have been put into an awkward position by someone else in a conversation.  They have made a statement that I didn’t really agree with, and they finished with, “Don’t you agree?”  and then waited for my stamp of approval.  So, do I cross my fingers and say that I agree?  If I do, they may tell someone later that I agreed with them.  NOW I’m in a greater mess than if I would have spoken the truth in the first place!  Paul speaks to this in Ephesians 4:14&15, “That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ.”  Hey, don’t be like a little kid with crossed fingers.  Speak up and speak the truth … but do it in love.  Don’t keep silent about the truth and don’t cross your fingers when you are asked to validate someone’s rant.  But do it in love.  Like the verse says, speak the truth … in love.  Grow up, and be like Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment