Saturday, September 4, 2021

Enabler


I was visiting my mother in Maryland eight years ago and needed to run to the store.  I went out and jumped into her car backing off her carport.  But when I got back with my bag of groceries, I noticed a somber air in the house.  My wife informed me that I had run over my mom’s cat.  Oh, no!  And it was too late; the cat was dead and buried.  I apologized to my mom telling her that I just didn’t see the cat.  But my mother interrupted me saying, “It wasn’t your fault.  The cat should have gotten out of your way.”  I couldn’t believe what my mom had just said!  I ran over her cat, and it was the cat’s fault!  Hey, have you ever known an “enabler”?  Someone who makes excuses for, and smooths over problems for another?  Paul said in Galatians 6:4&5, “But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. For every man shall bear his own burden.”  Things that we do are our own responsibility.  We shouldn’t blame someone else.  But it is also our responsibility to let others take responsibility for themselves.  We should not make excuses (like my mom) for the errors of others (like me).  My mother loved me, and she knew that I didn’t kill her cat on purpose.  But there are some well-intentioned people who enable a reckless lifestyle for others.  They make excuses for the bad behavior of loved ones.  Hey, take responsibility for yourself.  Own up to your mistakes.  And don’t make excuses for others.  Let them be accountable for themselves.  And above all, look before you back off the carport.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment