Sunday, June 19, 2022

Bad Advice


Last Sunday I walked by a dear lady sitting in church just before it started.  Miss Jean was writing out a check for the offering.  So, being the stinker that I am, I said right out loud, “It’s spelled, ‘W-h-i-t-e-l-y’.”  And then I laughed because I thought that I was funny.  But Miss Jean huffed and said, “you made me make a mistake on my church check, and now I have to write another one!”  And then I felt bad … just a little bit.  Hey, have you ever gotten a suggestion from someone and it turned out not to be very good advice?  I have even given out poor advice myself.  Hey, listen to the suggestions of other folk … but always be a little bit skeptical.  Ask yourself, “Who is giving the advice?  Do they have experience in the matter?  Are they old enough to know what they are talking about?”  Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 12:10&11, “The preacher (Solomon) sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth. The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies …”  “Goads” are the pointed sticks that oxen drivers use to prod their beasts along.  And good advice is like that.  It pokes at you when you want to take the easy route.  And then good advice is like a nail in the wall.  It secures an object in place so that it won’t move or fall.  Hey, in today’s wishy-washy world where anything goes, it’s good to have truth “nailed down”.  It’s good to have something that is solid.  Hey, don’t fall for poor advice; trust if the good Lord to lead you in the right way.  But, if you are going to write a check, it’s W-h-i-t-e-l-y.  Message me and I’ll get the address right out to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment