Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Gladioluses


I have two bunches of gladioluses in front of my house.  They are only beautiful one week a year, but they hold a precious spot in my heart.  My daughter came home from college the summer just before her senior year and planted them.  She didn’t ask, she didn’t say that she was planting them, she just did.  I think she thought that they would be a good addition to our flower bed.  That was 1993, 29 years ago.  So, each spring, they come back up from the bulbs and I water them and watch over them, because my daughter planted them.  This August 22, Becky will turn 50 years old.  Yikes!  She can’t be that old because that would make me … well … really old.  But the truth is, I am really old.  David said in Psalm 127:1-4, “Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it … It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep. Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD … As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.”  Those verses are spot on!  My daughter was born just before I turned 22 years old.  And now that I am 72, I was just a “youth” at 22 years old.  And my most important legacy is my children.  The dear Lord willing, my children will live long after I am gone.  And probably will the gladioluses in front of the house.  A great reminder.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment