Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Going to Camp


I texted my daughter this morning to ask her what time Bennett was leaving for camp.  She answered, “He just left, and I am devastated.  He’ll be gone all week.  I’m not sure I’m ready for my little boy to grow up.”  I tried to be nice to her, but Bennett is going into the seventh grade this fall.  But his mother gets a pass, as mothers do.  Granddaddy, on the other hand, was excited for Bennett to spread his wings a little.  In 1961, I went to the Bill Rice ranch when I was Bennett’s age.  I rode with my pastor from Maryland to Murfreesboro before interstates were built: 750 long miles on two-lane roads!  When I got there, I joined two hundred other teens from all over the east coast.  The old tabernacle was open-air with cedar posts and bare light bulbs hanging from the wood rafters.  Dr. Rice spoke to us in the first service spelling out the camp rules.  He said, “Welcome to the Bill Rice Ranch!  We are a working ranch with real cowboys, real horses, and real six-shooters.”  And with that, He drew his .45 six-gun and from the hip, shot out a light bulb twenty feet away.  I was impressed!  I don’t think Bennett will encounter bold cowboys at his camp … at least me and his mother hope not.  But I hope he will hear God’s Word preached as I did in 1961.  He will meet some new friends, and he will have a great opportunity for the dear Lord to work in his heart.  Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 12:1, “Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them.”  Not bad advice for Bennett … and not bad advice for us old folks too.  Hey, it’s never too late to remember the dear Lord.  Actually, right now might be a good time to speak to Him in prayer.  You’ll be glad that you did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment