Monday, June 13, 2022

Taking Risks


In 1974 I worked at Mueller Iron Foundry while going to college.  Most of my classes were in the morning so I worked 2nd shift: 3:30 pm until midnight (30 minute lunch).  When a job was available, workers bid on the job and the one with the most seniority got the job.  Somehow, I got a crane operator job, which paid well.  It was an overhead crane that ran on two railroad tracks for stories above the floor.  I would pick up a two ton ladle of liquid iron on the top floor and move it to the bottom floor without hitting anything and spilling iron all over the men working below.  Rather stressful.  But getting to the crane was more stressful.  I had to climb up to the roof level and walk the track 50 feet to the crane … but I was four stories above the floor.  The first time was scary, but I got used to it.  I think that was why so few men bid on the crane job.  Hey, the adrenaline was pumping by the time I got to the crane.  The same is true of life.  There are safe choices that we make each and every day.  But scary choices … choices that make our heart pump … those will give us much greater reward.  The greater the risk of failure, the greater the satisfaction when the task is accomplished successfully.  Hey, are you willing to take a chance on God?  Are you ready to step out by faith and try something great for God?  In II Chronicles, good King Jehoshaphat challenged the Levites and priests to deal honestly and to settle controversies between litigants.  He told them in verse 11 to be brave and to “Deal courageously, and the LORD shall be with the good.”  Hey, take a chance on God!  Be bold for the Lord and step out by faith!  Take a risk for God and He will not fail you!  You can count on God to carry you through!

No comments:

Post a Comment