Thursday, July 14, 2022

Assumptions


Years ago, while attending another church, we had an older couple visit the church.  He was bald, she had gray hair, and they came with two small children, so I assumed that they were grandparents.  After church, I asked him, “Are these your grandchildren?”  He replied curtly, “No, these are our children.”  I stammered some sort of an apology, but there was no way of getting out of my mistake.  I learned to be careful about what I say.  Don’t jump to a conclusion.  In the genealogy of Jesus found in Luke chapter 3, an assumption about Jesus is recorded.  Luke 3:23, “And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli …”  People saw little Jesus around Joseph (who was married to Jesus’ mother, Mary) and assumed that Joseph was Jesus’ father.  But they were wrong.  Joseph was not the father of Jesus.  God was the Father of Jesus Christ.  Then when Jesus was twelve years old, Mary and Joseph made another assumption.  They assumed that Jesus was among the cousins when they left Jerusalem to return for home after the Passover.  But He wasn’t.  And the next day, His frantic mother confronted Him when she finally found Jesus in the Temple asking and answering questions of the Pharisees and chief priests.  Jesus calmly answered Mary in Luke 2:49, “… How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?”  Hey, assumptions can be embarrassing.  And, assumptions can be dangerous.  Have you ever made any careless assumptions?  Let’s try to be more observant today and not jump to any conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment