Saturday, July 9, 2022

Wonder Bread


Bread is the staple of life.  At least it is in my household.  Around the world, folk might disagree with me.  My wife’s family is Greek, and they eat rice as their carb of choice.  So, at our house, we like the fresh Italian bread.  It just seems to taste better.  And that’s probably because the fresh bread doesn’t have all of the preservatives in it.  But after I bring home a loaf of fresh Italian bread, I have only about three days before it spoils.  In three days, I notice mold beginning to grow on the top of the bread.  But the sliced enriched white bread from Walmart is different.  With all of the preservatives, it never seems to grow mold.  I can keep it for two weeks, and still no mold.  At first, I thought that was a good thing, but then I realized that when I digest the bread, the bacteria in my gut needs to be able to break down the bread to provide me nourishment.  If the bread never molds on the counter, what happens in my gut?!  So I wonder, what is really in Wonder bread?!  Hey, what about your heart and your spiritual life?  What’s inside of your heart?  Is your heart tender and compassionate?  Or are you filled with spiritual preservatives?  Are you hardened to the needs of others?  Solomon said in Proverbs 4:23, “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.”  Hey, guard your heart.  Don’t let it be filled with preservatives.  Keep it fresh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment