Monday, July 18, 2022

Cold Quilt


When I was a kid, I enjoyed spending the night with my cousin, Gene.  He was my dad’s older brother’s son and just nine days older than me.  Gene had an older sister and a younger sister, so I think he enjoyed me coming over too.  They lived in a two-story house with the children’s bedrooms upstairs.  Typical Maryland summers were brutally hot and humid, so nights were difficult to sleep.  But Gene had a “cold quilt”.  When we got under it was cold to the touch.  Or at least I thought so.  But after fifteen minutes it warmed up from our body heat.  So, Gene had a trick: he would throw the quilt off the bed and onto the hardwood floor.  That was, as he called it, “cooling off the cold quilt again”.  And in fifteen minutes, we pulled the quilt onto the bed once again, and it was cold.  Or at least I thought so.  So, for the first fifteen minutes, the quilt was cold.   Then for the next fifteen minutes that the quilt was on the floor cooling off, we were totally uncovered, and we were (relatively) cold.  Then when we pulled the quilt off the floor and back on us, the quilt was cold for the next fifteen minutes.  Or at least I thought so.  This went on all night until we went to sleep and didn’t know if we were hot or cold.  Hey, have you ever believed a tall tale told to you by someone?  I have.  Have you ever remembered the moment when you realized that you had been fooled?  I have again.  Hey, you will never ever have a moment like that with Jesus.  He will never ever disappoint you.  Never.  When you trust Jesus to take your soul to heaven, He will do it!  Paul said in Titus 1:2, “In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began.”  God has promised to save us, if we but put our faith in the sacrifice of Jesus to pay for our sins!  And you can take that to the bank!

No comments:

Post a Comment