Friday, July 15, 2022

Expert Opinion


I just finished this pergola/garage-update for a fellow in Hixson, Tennessee.  He wanted the paint to match his existing house trim.  So, I clipped off a sample of the trim from behind a bush and took it to Lowe’s for a color match.  I cut the boards and painted everything (two coats) and took it to Hixson to install.  The color matched perfectly … but the sheen was not the same.  The fellow in the paint department had assured me that the sample was flat, but it was not; it had a satin finish.  So, I assembled the pergola and then caulked and painted it with a third coat (after buying another gallon of paint at $42).  I had to work off of a ladder and paint between the cross-members, so it took me an extra eight hours.  And all because the paint guy said he thought flat would work.  Hey, have you ever taken someone else’s word for something, only to find that they weren’t quite the expert that you thought they were?  It’s one thing to be mistaken on a paint sample, but it’s quite another the be mistaken about your eternal destination.  The Buddhist has an opinion; the Hindu has an opinion; the Muslim has an opinion.  But Jesus said in John 14:6. “… I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”  Can I be so bold as to say, Jesus is not just one-of-the ways to heaven; Jesus is the ONLY way to heaven.  I know that’s a narrow statement, but Jesus said it Himself.  Don’t trust someone else’s opinion; trust Jesus.  He’ll never disappoint you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment