Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Eschew Evil


Last week in Sunday school, Brother Roth read a Bible verse that intrigued me.  He has been teaching through I Peter, and I Peter 3:10 begins with, “For he that will love life, and see good days …”  Wow!  What a beginning for a Bible verse!  Would you like to have a life that you loved?  I would!  Would you like to have today be a good day?  I would!  I couldn’t wait to finish the verse after such a beginning!  So, after Peter’s set-up, the rest of the verse was the answer: “… let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.”  There it is!  The key to having a perfect life!  Guard your tongue, stay away from (eschew) evil, seek good, and seek (ensue) peace.  And that word, “eschew” sounded familiar.  I remember Mr. Webber, my geometry teacher, talking about “skew lines” in 1965 at Edgewood high school.  Skew lines are lines that never meet.  They come from infinity in one direction and continue on to infinity in the other direction, but they never meet.  And isn’t that a good way to be with evil?  Peter tells us to never, never ever meet evil.  Never think about it; never do it; never dabble just a little bit in it; just never have anything to do about evil.  Hey, here is a good suggestion for you: copy I Peter 3:10&11 on a 3X5 index card and memorize it.  And if you obey these two verses, you will “love life and see good days”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment