Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Goodness and Mercy


When I was dating my future wife in the spring of 1971, we were walking in Hudson’s department store at the Oakland Mall in Michigan.  We were heading to the candy counter for some Swedish fish (which are candy, not fish).  We passed a lady with an armful of clothes when a man walked up between the lady and me, pulled out a gun from his coat and told the lady to move over to the side.  He was an undercover cop who had been watching her for shoplifting.  Back in those days, the police took shoplifting more seriously than today.  It surprised and shocked me, but I was glad that the police were out in force.  David wrote in Psalm 23:6, “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”  I heard a preacher say that goodness and mercy were the names of God’s sheepdogs that guarded God’s sheep.  And that preacher was right.  The goodness of God and the mercy of God constantly remind me of God’s surveillance in my life.  God cares for me and God looks out for me.  He will not let me continue in sin.  He loves me too much to let me stray too far from His care.  Hey, God loves you and cares for you too!  Don’t get nipped by God’s sheepdogs.  Stay close to God.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment