Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Elevator Fiasco


 

My wife is on the third floor of Memorial hospital, so I went in to the ground-floor elevator this morning on my way up to see her.  The doors opened, but I had to wait for an older cleaning lady getting off with her equipment.  She pushed off her loaded cart but left a rolling trash can in the back of the elevator to retrieve after she got her cart out of the door.  I quickly stepped in to help saying, “I’ll get this trash can for you.  But as I turned around with the trash can, the lady was already coming back in to retrieve her trash can, and we were both blocking each other in the small elevator … as the doors closed.  She huffed as her cart was left on the ground floor and we started up.  But I had not pressed a button, so we went to the fourth floor where a second lady had called for the elevator.  Obviously, the cleaning lady didn’t need any more help from me, so I got off on the fourth floor and walked down one floor to the third floor.  I hope the cleaning lady got back to the ground floor and was reunited with her lonely cart.  I thought, “No good deed goes unpunished.”  Oh, well …  I know Paul was speaking of causing a brother to stumble in Romans 14:16, but the verse applied to me today: “Let not then your good be evil spoken of.”  Hey, at least I tried to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment