Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Greeting


My dad told me that the first time that you meet a person is important.  He said to look them in the eye and shake their hand firmly.  Dad said, “Don’t hold your hand out like a dead fish; grab their hand and shake it like you mean it!”  You might think, “If I look them in the eye, how will our hands meet to clasp?”  But I have found that you don’t have to worry about that.  They will find your hand if you confidently stick it out.  The important thing is to look them in the eye and make them feel that you WANT to meet them.  Hey, the same goes for the first time in the day that you greet a friend.  When they come into the room, greet them like you’re glad to see them!  Call them by their name and say ‘hello’.  The worker at McDonald’s calls out, “Order 658!” and the customers standing around may or may not notice number 658.  But the worker at Chick fil-A calls out, “Order for Gerald!” and I hear my name.  Soon they remember my name and I go back to Chick fil-A because they know my name and they call me by my name when I come in the door.  Really!  It’s not kissing up to the boss, it’s just good manners … and it’s a good idea.  Solomon said in Proverbs 17:17, “A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.”  Hey, be kind today.  Be observant today.  Greet your friends by their names, and your day will be much better.  And theirs too!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment