Monday, March 28, 2022

Afraid


Have you ever been afraid?  No, I mean REALLY afraid?  I have.  In 1969, I was a student in college, and it was near the end of the spring semester.  Larry S. was a good friend who lived in my dorm.  Larry worked at American National Bank and had a key to the bank property on Chickamauga Lake.  One Friday afternoon, about ten of us boys from Riley Hall went camping with Larry on the lake.  We built a campfire, cooked hot dogs, and enjoyed the peaceful outdoors.  Late in the evening, one by one, we fell asleep.  I was awakened in the wee hours of the morning to noise.  Larry was calling for Ricardo F. who was missing.  I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and got up to see what was going on.  Larry had gotten up to use the bathroom and found Ricardo’s sleeping bag empty.  He had turned on outside lights and was searching for Ricardo.  Flashlights were on, searches were made, but Ricardo was nowhere to be found.  Then someone noticed something floating in the lake a hundred yards or so from the shore.  We couldn’t make out what it was.  Could it be Ricardo?  It had to be investigated.  I was a lifeguard at a mental hospital nearby, so I was elected to swim out into the dark waters to get a better look at the floating object.  Was it Ricardo?  I hoped not!  As flashlights followed my progress, I swam out into the night.  When I got close, I discovered it was a dead carp floating in the water.  What a relief!  Later that morning, Ricardo turned up, safe and sound.  He had gone into the woods to use the bathroom, and in the darkness, had become disoriented.  He had wandered for hours until daylight.  Hey, fear is a scary thing!  But always remember, God has promised to be with you.  A Christian is never really alone.  Isaiah said in Isaiah 41:13, “For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.”  In your most fearful moments, God is right there.  Do not be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment