Saturday, March 26, 2022

Think Right, Do Right, Repeat


Years ago, I had knee surgery. The doctor said, “Crutches for six weeks, then rehab, and you’ll be fine.”  But it wasn’t quite that easy.  My knee healed, but after three years, I still had a limp.  It was then that I noticed that my right calf muscle was considerably smaller than my left!  I began to focus on NOT limping and using my right leg more and more.  Still knee problems.  So, I began my own therapy regimen.  On our stairs, I do squats (while lightly holding onto the handrail) until I feel that “burn” in my quadriceps (usually at 25).  After a minute of rest, I do a second set (usually 20).  Then rest and the final set (of 15).  I do this 3 days a week resting the other days.  And, if I do them faithfully, my knee does not hurt.  I can miss one day, but if I miss two, I can tell it in my knee.  Wow!  What a change!  I have a bicycle that I use as well to help with the cardio along with the knees.  But I have a steep, steep driveway.  I check my brakes before going down and use first gear going up.  The first time I came up the driveway, I made it half-way.  The next day it was ¾ of the way.  After a week, I made it all the way up!  Wahoo!  I was so proud of myself!  And my knees felt like Ironman knees!  Down is so easy, but up is so hard!  Hey, have you ever noticed that it is easy to get into trouble, but much harder to get out of trouble?  Have you noticed that it is easy to slip into bad habits, but much harder to develop good habits?  Solomon said in Proverbs 4:23&26, “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.”  Remember the way to develop good habits: Think right, Do right, Repeat.  And remember the way to break bad habits: Think right, Do right, Repeat.  Hey, write this mantra on a 3X5 card and put it where you’ll see it often.  But pray as you read your card.  For sure, pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment