Thursday, March 17, 2022

School Bus Stop


I went to Old Post Road elementary school for six years (no kindergarten back then).  My first year (and first day) going to high school, I walked up the hill and waited for the school bus in front of Ann C’s house.  Buzz S. lived across the road from her and was a year older than me.  Ann was in the sixth grade, same as me.  Ann’s parents invited Buzz and me to wait for the bus on their covered porch.  Very convenient when it was raining.  Of course, Ann waited inside.  When Buzz and I jumped up as the bus rolled to a stop, that was Ann’s cue to come outside.  But the next fall, the transportation director sent a note that we would have to walk up to the next corner with another group of students because the bus route was consolidating stops.  Ann’s parents protested her having to wait outside with everyone else and told Buzz and me to still wait for the bus on their front porch as usual.  So we did.  But we were horrified as the bus drove right by without stopping for us.  Ann’s parents quickly loaded us three into their car and drove us to school.  Ann’s dad huffed into the principal’s office, closing the door behind him.  But the next day, all three of us walked up to the next corner and caught the bus.  Buzz and I didn’t care.  We were outside people anyway.  Ann was a little annoyed, but her parents were REALLY annoyed.  I learned that day to be careful why and with whom to protest … and when not to.  Solomon said in Proverbs 29:23, “A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment