Friday, March 25, 2022

Driving with Two Feet


When I was fourteen years old, I learned to drive on my dad’s 1958 Volkswagen beetle.  It had a five-speed manual transmission with 36 horsepower.  Four years later, when I was driving my dad’s automatic Dodge, I was using both feet (like I did driving the Volkswagen) and my dad corrected me.  He said, “You use two feet for a manual transmission, but you only use your right foot to drive an automatic.”  When I asked him why, he responded, “You should never get into the habit of using the brake AND the accelerator at the same time.  They are opposites, and you’ll waste gas and wear out the brakes.”  He was right.  You can’t “go” and “stop” at the same time.  Hey, in the Christian life, you can’t worry and trust God at the same time.  You can do one or the other, but you can’t do both.  Like driving an automatic with two feet, trusting while worrying is just counterproductive.  David said it well in Psalm 37:7-9, “Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.”  Trust in the good Lord, because someday, you will inherit the earth, and rule and reign with Jesus Christ.  Don’t worry, just trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment