Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Tuning to A 440


In 1978 I tuned pianos.  I didn’t play the piano, but I enjoyed the technical aspect of piano tuning.  Beginning in the low notes and continuing into the treble notes, the vibrations of the strings increase logarithmically.  After I finished tuning a piano, the customer wanted to hear a pleasant-sounding little tune, which I couldn’t produce.  The piano was accurately tuned, but the customer wasn’t quite satisfied that it was.  When I began studying the art of piano tuning, I discovered that the standard was the A above middle C on the piano, which was decided upon in 1889 to be set at 440 vibrations per second, or 440 Hz.  So, I bought a tuning fork calibrated to A 440.  Middle C turned out to be 456 Hz, but A 440 is the standard.  When tuning the orchestra, the oboe begins, because it is the hardest instrument to tune.  Actually, the oboe cannot be tuned, it is “made” at A 440.  So, the oboist warms up their reed by playing a few scales, and then settles into their boring job:  play a concert Bb note (which has been tuned to A 440) as long as they can while the other instruments take turns listening and tuning their instruments to the oboe, which in turn, is tuned to A 440.  Hey, that’s like our spiritual life.  Everything that we do is keyed off Jesus Christ.  Jesus isn’t just a good man, He didn’t die and leave us a good example, Jesus was the perfect Son of God.  Jesus didn’t come to tell us about truth, Jesus IS the truth.  Jesus said in John 14:6, “… I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”  Jesus is the only way to God.  Are you trusting in “your truth” or are you trusting in the ultimate standard of truth, Jesus Christ?  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment