Wednesday, March 16, 2022

The Silverware Drawer


My dear wife and I have a problem … in the silverware drawer.  We have too many case knives.  Now, some of you are too young to know what a “case knife” is.  You young whippersnappers call a case knife a butter knife.  But a true butter knife is a lopsided, left-only knife used to cut a pat of butter and transfer it to your plate.  One butter knife per set of silverware (which is not really “silverware” but flatware).  But, back to my problem.  We had a full twelve-piece service of Rogers “silverware” from years ago.  But pieces disappeared over the years, so we bought a similar Oneida set to fill in missing pieces.  But the previously mentioned case knives never go missing, so now we have too many case knives to fit into the case knife place in the “silverware” drawer.  I have a theory: kids absentmindedly throw away a fork or spoon here and there when they scrape their plates into the trash.  But kids aren’t trusted with knives (even case knives) so the case knives never go missing.  Just my theory.  My solution to the abundance of case knives was to turn half of them backwards so that they nest with each other better (the handles are bigger than the flat blades).  But my wife doesn’t like to reach into the “silverware” drawer and pull out a case knife by the blade.  It just isn’t sanitary (according to her).  So, my current solution is to always leave a few case knives in the dishwasher, even though they are clean.  When my wife empties the dishwasher, she just has to deal with the abundance of case knives.  I have contemplated pulling a kids’ move and “losing” a couple of case knives to the trash can.  But only contemplated it.  I don’t have the nerve to do it yet. Hey, now that you are laughing at my trivial problems, there are other REAL problems in the real world.  Don’t you agree?  Paul reminds us that our earthly problems will translate into eternal rewards in II Corinthians 4:17, “For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.”  ALL of our earthly afflictions are actually trivial, like my case knife problem, when viewed from an eternal perspective!  So, endure suffering for now … even putting up with “silverware” drawer and case knife problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment