Saturday, March 5, 2022

Ukrainian Coupons


In 1992, we went to the southern part of the Ukraine to distribute 10,000 Romanian New Testaments.  We inserted invitations into the New Testaments to evangelistic meetings that we held at night.  One day, I went to the bank to exchange dollars for Coupons, the Ukrainian currency.  I exchanged the money and stepped aside to count it.  I discovered that the teller had given me too much money, so I got back into line.  When I got up to the front, I tried to explain that she had made a mistake.  She didn’t understand English and didn’t want to admit any mistake.  I shoved the money to her with my receipt, and she grudgingly counted the money again.  Everyone in line behind me was curious about the American making a scene.  When the teller discovered that the mistake was in her favor, she was surprised … along with everyone in line behind me.  Apparently, honesty was rare.  The teller took her money and returned the correct amount to me without so much as a thank you.  But when I turned to go, a man in line pulled out one of my invitations that he had and showed it to me giving me a thumbs up gesture.  And I’m confident that he was at the meeting that evening.  I pray that the Lord spoke to his heart.  Hey, people are watching you … often without you knowing it.  Paul had it right in I Corinthians 4:2, “Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment