Tuesday, October 19, 2021

185 Pounds


In 1972, Kathy and I were expecting our first child.  I was working at Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Chattanooga but wasn’t making enough money.  I spoke with my boss, and he said that most people working there had a second job just to make ends meet.  No raise for me.  A co-worker told me that he had a cousin who worked at an iron foundry and made good money.  I applied at Mueller Company and a month later, I was finally hired.  I had to show up for a physical the following Monday.  But when I read the form to give to the doctor, I saw where I had to weigh 185 pounds to get the job.  Mueller didn’t want light-weight workers.  But I was a light-weight … only 179 pounds.  So, the rest of the week, I ate everything in sight. By Sunday, I had gained but two pounds.  Monday morning, I put on my heavy work boots, my heaviest jeans, a thick belt, two sweaters, my pocketknife, all the keys that I could load up onto my keychain, and a roll of quarters.  When I stepped onto the scales, I weighed exactly 185 pounds.  Whew!  I’m glad that the doctor didn’t pat me down, or I wouldn’t have gotten that job.  I started that afternoon making $3.15 an hour.  Great wages for that town at that time in history.  Hey, there was nothing on the doctor’s form that said how many sweaters that I was allowed to wear.  The form didn’t restrict how much money that I could have on me, dollars or quarters.  I only took advantage of my privileges.  Solomon reminds us that God knows everything about us.  He also knows the scales that are used at the market.  God knows if the weights are fair or not.  Solomon said in Proverbs 16:11, “A just weight and balance are the LORD'S: all the weights of the bag are his work.”  I was loaded up that Monday many years ago with all that I could carry, but the scales didn’t lie.  I weighed exactly 185 pounds.  When we pass on into eternity, we will face the Righteous Judge.  No time for pockets full of quarters or heavy boots; we need Jesus to balance our side.  God sees all and God knows all.  Hey, make your peace with God right now while you can.  Be confident when you face your Maker’s scale

No comments:

Post a Comment