Sunday, October 10, 2021

Night Shift and Patience


My first three years in college was a waste.  I didn’t take it seriously.  But after I was married, I realized what needed to be done.  I went back to school with a wife and two little babies.  I didn’t have time nor money to waste.  And, thanks to a loving wife who encouraged me, I did well.  I worked the afternoon shift (3-11pm), slept six hours, and went to school in the mornings.  Then back to work at three the next afternoon.  I worked at Mueller Iron Foundry.  It was hot and dirty work but paid well - the whole reason that I worked.  Usually, I operated an overhead crane carrying two-ton ladles from the furnace level to the bottom floor where the iron was poured into cast iron fire hydrants.  One night, I operated the outdoor crane loading pieces of scrap railroad rails into hoppers headed for the three furnaces.  While waiting for the next hopper, I would watch a screech owl that sat on the far end of the crane rail.  His head would rotate as he watched for any movement below.  The owl would sit there for an hour, and then suddenly and silently swoop down and snag a rat.  The owl never missed.  He was patient, silent, and still as he scanned the piles of scrap iron.  The owl reminded me of what Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 7:8, “Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.”  The owl didn’t make any noise as he waited.  He was quiet and patient.  And when a rat became careless, the owl moved quickly.  Hey, it’s much better to be patient and wait for the right opportunity than to brag about what you are going to do.  Anyone can say anything, but like they say, “It ain’t bragging if you can do it.”  Don’t be proud; be patient.  Works for owls and works for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment