Friday, October 1, 2021

Happy Anniversary


50 years ago today, I was scared.  I was getting married the next day, October 2, 1971.  Oh, I knew that I was doing the right thing (and history has born it out) marrying Kathy, but still, I was scared.  Pastor Richards asked me, point blank, “Are you sure you want to go through with this?  It’s not too late to change your mind.”  But I knew that I wanted to marry her, butterflies and all.  I was committed, in a good way, but still, I was scared.  But today, 50 years later, I am relaxed and confident.  And if I had it to do over again, I would marry Kathy again.  She encouraged me to finish college (and master’s and doctorate), she has given me four wonderful children (and nurtured them), and she has been my soulmate for all these years.  I love you, to the moon and back!  Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 7:8, “Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.”  It’s easy to get into a marriage, but it’s hard to stick it out.  And Kathy has “stuck it out” with me.  Hey, if you are in the Chattanooga area, come over to our house tomorrow (Saturday) from 1-4 pm and party with us.  Do not bring a present; just bring yourself.  Come and eat my kids’ food and chat with us.  Really.  If you don’t have our address, message me.

No comments:

Post a Comment